It is dusk
And I drive home.
I see pink balloons,
Floating in the dim light,
Over the grassy park,
Onto the road.
They represented
Women,
Who all were victims.
Who all battled.
Some won,
Some lost,
All fought,
Breast cancer.
A friend,
Fights now.
No one can tell us,
If she will win.
It has been so long,
And the cancer,
Is no longer,
What it was once named.
Now her treatment,
Maintains a standoff.
My own mother,
Too was called,
To the front line.
She won,
But only through,
Radical mastectomy.
But now I live,
In uneasy,
Silent fear,
Of my own body.
That something,
That partly defines my gender,
Gives pleasure and shape,
Nurtures a child,
Can change,
To an enemy.
Another,
Asked my mum,
How she could lose,
Something that made her a woman.
She said it was easy,
It was going to kill her.
I think,
I would choose the same.
So I wear,
A pink ribbon,
For the hundreds,
Thousands,
Tens of thousands,
Of women.
To remind
And remember.
6 comments:
I don't know how you did it but you took an ugly situation and expressed it beautifully.
I'm sorry it's touched you in such a way. I lost my grandmother at 13 and witnessed the entire fight. I had my first mammogram in my mid 20's.
Please know I'll be sending my best thoughts to you and yours.
Very beautiful,
expressing the ugly drawback,
and associating balloons...
I have not experienced someone close to me dying or being maimed with breast cancer.. make sure you keep an eye out for yourself,
as your mother suffered from it.
Wishing your friend the very best,
-s00
resurrected_wreck@hotmail.com
:)
Beautifully expressed.
I love your way with words. You have an amazing gift.
ergo, where are you?
I haven't seen a new blog
in a while.
But that's just me,
I'm inpatient.
Thank you ergo,
those are the words of you and many others in my life that I tend to hold close to me to stop myself from jumping in with the others.
We probably already covered this, but I must have forgotten.. you're Australian?
I am too.
Well, I used to live there.
-s00
Post a Comment